Tuesday, August 24, 2010

me: the sea that rules my heart

There are many reasons why I never thought I would be a diver, let alone a Dive Master.
  1. I am not a strong swimmer.
  2. I am afraid of any pool of water which I could not stand in and breathe.
  3. I do not particularly like fishes. I never kept one as a pet and would never touch one unless I'm eating it.
  4. I don't consider myself sporty.
  5. I have been trying to keep out of the sun as much as possible.

It started from a casual invitation from Charmaine while we were in-line skating at East Coast Park, to join the next Open Water Diver course. Before I knew it, after four hours of classroom theory on the basics of scuba diving and S$590, I was standing in my swim suit behind a row of air tanks and dive gear at the Mount Fabre Safra swimming pool.

My memory of that evening is a little fuzzy now but I can remember vividly how safe (and happy) I felt as I knelt at the bottom of the pool breathing the minty cool compressed air. My fear of water quickly eased away. I was hooked.

That was June 2008 when I did my first dive in the open sea. Quickly I had many other firsts - turtle, shark, night dive, ray, etc. I took on more advanced courses shortly after.

It has been two years. Today, I am a Dive Master with the same dive school which got me started. Deep Blue Scuba has my favourite instructors and divers, especially Pierre Chew, whom I crowned 'Best Instructor'! I do not know another sport that got me this crazy, and I doubt I will find another.

If you are not a diver now, please come dive with me. I promise you a different world, one He created which is less explored. You will love it. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment